Haunted Linthicum Heights Maryland: Benson-Hammond House Ghost Expedition 2014
The Benson-Hammond House dates back to around 1825 where it was home to Thomas and Nancy Benson, and built on land called “Addition to Timber Ridge.”
The modest farmhouse was expanded after the Civil War to accommodate the growing family of Joseph and Mary Susannah Benson and their eleven children. Joseph re-named the property Cedar Farm.
In 1887, Cedar Farm was acquired by Thomas and Rezin Hammond. Rezin Howard Hammond took residence in the home and operated the land as a truck farm which provided produce to local and Baltimore markets.
As was custom with farms in the area, Polish immigrant workers were employed to harvest crops.
Hammond family members continued to live there until 1947 when the land was acquired for the construction of Friendship airport.
The Maryland State Aviation Administration leased the property to the Ann Arrundell County Historical Society (AACHS) in 1974.
AACHS reopened the home as a museum in 1982. The home was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
The Benson-Hammond home has acquired a haunted reputation having been investigated by a number local area paranormal groups over recent years.
The property at one time contained multiple graves that were relocated for the building of Friendship Airport.
A historical society librarian who was working in the home overnight reported that she was awakened by a music box that was playing.
The upper floor is considered to be very active. One active room was earlier remodeled as a child’s bedroom; it’s original purpose is unknown.
In past investigations, there have been consistent audio references to “George” (possibly the late George Milton Benson?).
Prior investigations have also obtained regular and sentence-length references in audio to “Benson”, “Mary”, “Tommy”, and “Tom.”
The ghost expedition will attempt to clarify potential presences there.
Benson-Hammond House (NE Elevation), Linthicum Heights MD. 1984. National Register of Historic Places. Photographer: Donna Ware
Benson-Hammond House, Linthicum Heights MD. Ann Arrundell County Historical Society. Photographer: Matthew Cole
Friendship International Airport (c1950), Kilduff’s
Benson-Hammond House (Polish immigrant farm workers), Linthicum Heights MD. Ann Arrundell County Historical Society
Benson-Hammond House (circa 1940), Linthicum Heights MD. Ann Arrundell County Historical Society